With the upcoming premiere of Downton Abbey series 5 airing on PBS January 4, 2015 in the US, here is the complimentary post to How to legally watch Downton Abbey from outside the UK. Since Downton Abbey airs without commercial interruption on PBS, additional scenes are often included that had to be cut when originally aired on ITV. Notable scenes added in series 4 include Michael Gregson returning Terence Sampson's note, and Isobel Crawley meeting the mother and sister of John Pegg at the clinic.
Without further ado, here are the necessary steps:
- Using either the Chrome or Firefox browsers, install the Hola plug-in from here.
- Go to the PBS website.
- Pick a proxy in the US.
- Select a regional affiliate station (for example WNET out of New York City)1.
- No login was required to watch Series 4 on "catch-up".
- If Downton Abby is not already displayed on the home page slide show, find it under 'Programs'.
- Play the episode.
- When testing, the proxy was located in Miami but DA would play from both the Miami affiliate and WNET (NY). It appears that the only restriction is that the originating address must be from some place in the US.
- Downton Abbey usually airs at 9:00 PM EST from East coast affiliates. West coast affiliates are usually delayed three hours. IOW (2:00AM or 5:00AM GMT).
- This post will be updated after the broadcast of the first episode if any changes or clarifications are required.
Happy / Merry Christmas to all.