| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an upcoming episode.
ITV and PBS viewers have yet to see this episode.
The 2015 Christmas Special, also known as The Finale, is the holiday episode of the sixth series of Downton Abbey. It is the final episode of the sixth series and serves as the finale for the entire show. It will be set between July 25 and December 31, 1925. It will air on December 25th, 2015 in the UK, and on February 28th, 2016 in the US.
It will be approximately two hours long and will air at 8:45pm on ITV on Christmas Day, 2015.
Production spent a week at Alnwick Castle, Northumberland, which doubled as the location for Brancaster Castle, home of Bertie Pelham, the 7th and new Marquess of Hexham. Filming took place in the spectacular interior rooms of the Castle as well as on the estate. Production also filmed dining scenes at the Iconic Ritz in central London.
Between July 25-December 31, 1925: Mary attempts to build bridges with her younger sister, but Edith's family secret continues to pose a threat, even after she thought there was nothing left to lose. As Henry settles into the role of husband and stepfather, scars left by Charlie's tragic death are slow to heal fully, while Carson struggles to come to terms with developments which prove that even he is not invulnerable to change. Spratt's successful moonlighting venture is threatened by the continued conniving of Miss Denker, and Daisy may have missed her chance with an admirer. Isobel receives devastating news and when the young Greys' scheming takes a sinister turn, and she and Violet join forces. Robert must learn the value of independence while the day that Anna and Bates have been waiting for finally arrives.
The final episode of the overall series offers all the love and loss, happiness and heartbreak of Downton Abbey, and as the family and servants prepare to welcome the year of 1926, they celebrate an unforgettable New Year’s Eve together at the great house.
Cast in normal font have been confirmed by the cast list released by RadioTimes. Cast italicized have been confirmed by news reports/spoilers, etc. outside of RadioTimes. Those bolded are listed on the IMDb cast list and may not be accurate.
- The series finale has been reported as being "emotional" by Jim Carter.
- IMDb shows that the title for this episode is The Finale, however this may not have been officially confirmed by ITV. According to the Sky+ Planner, this is correct.
- ↑ Careful with those beans Carson...oh no, you've spilled them! Has Downton's butler lifted the lid on TV's biggest secret? at the Daily Mail
- ↑ Downton Abbey Christmas Special 2015. Ecumenical News.com. Dec 21, 2015, Updated at 16:46 PM EST
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 http://www.itv.com/presscentre/press-releases/itv-and-carnival-films-announce-details-final-episode-downton-abbey-christmas
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 "Episode 6.09 (2015 Christmas Special)" at the Internet Movie Database
- ↑ 5.0 5.1 ITV Drama Video: ITV Downton Abbey Trailer: 02/12/15 17:30pm
- ↑ First Look At Unforgettable Downton Abbey Christmas Special at Radio Times
- ↑ Downton Abbey: the final episode will be emotional
- ↑ "Episode 6.09 (2015 Christmas Special)" at the Internet Movie Database