The Crawley Family are the family who live in and hold rights to the Downton Abbey estate; they have held the rights to Downton Abbey since at least 1772, when the first Earl of Grantham actually became an Earl.
There are many known members of the family and many unknown members of the family. Violet Crawley, Dowager Countess of Grantham, widow of Patrick Crawley, 5th Earl of Grantham, is the matriach of the family and often clashes with Isobel Crawley, mother of the heir, Matthew Crawley.
Violet has two children, Rosamund- the rich widow of Mr Marmaduke Painswick - and Robert Crawley, 6th Earl of Grantham, who married rich heiress Cora Levinson. Robert and Cora had three daughters, Mary, Edith and Sybil Crawley.
Mary, Edith and Sybil, being girls, could not inherit the title of Earl of Grantham, and after the deaths of Robert's cousin, James and his son, Patrick, on the Titanic in 1912, the title of 'heir' passed to Robert's third cousin-once-removed, Matthew Crawley.
In 1919, Sybil married the Crawley Family Chauffer, Tom Branson, and, at Christmas that year, Matthew proposed to Mary again; she accepted and the two became betrothed and due to marry in 1920.
There are several members of the Crawley Family who have died or have not been seen. These people include:
- A distant aunt from 1860 who, according to Edith, married a Gordon .
- James Crawley, the Cousin of Robert, who died on the Titanic in 1912.
- Patrick Crawley, the son of James and Mary's fiance, who died with his father on the Titanic.
- The wife of James Crawley, who presumably died on the Titanic, as she is never mentioned as having survived.
- The Fourth Earl of Grantham who was the father of Patrick Crawley, 5th Earl of Grantham.
- The Fourth Countess of Grantham.
- The father of James Crawley who was the brother of the Patrick, the brother-in-law of Violet Crawley, and the uncle of Robert and Rosamund.
- The mother of James Crawley, who Violet disliked.
- Four previous Earls of Grantham.
- The brother of the 3rd Earl of Grantham.
- The sister of the First Earl of Grantham, who, possibly widowed, lived in the Dower House so she could be close to her brother.
- ↑ This woman may not actually be a Crawley and may be Violet's sister, Roberta, as the dates fit with the battle of Lucknow in 1857 and the rough ages of Roberta and Violet.
- ↑ According to Violet, the Fourth Countess of Grantham "made everything dark" and used to live in Crawley House after her husband's death.
- ↑ Violet claimed that "a nastier woman never drew breath".
- ↑ Patrick Crawley, 5th Earl of Grantham is, as his title suggests, the 5th in the line of Earls, meaning that there must be four Earls before him.
- ↑ This man was the great-grandfather of Reginald Crawley, the great-grandfather-in-law of Isobel Crawley and the great-great-grandfather of Matthew Crawley. He cannot be anything else, as this is the only way that Reginald can be Robert's third cousin and the only way that Matthew can be Robert's third cousin, once removed.