Downton Abbey, the movie, is a film written by Julian Fellowes and directed by Michael Engler. The film was produced by Carnival Film & Television and Focus Features. It is expected to be released in autumn 2019.
The movie was announced to have a September 13, 2019 international release and a September 20, 2019 release in North America.
Development history Edit
After over a year of speculation, an untitled Downton Abbey-based movie was confirmed on July 13, 2018 by Focus Features. There was first mention of the movie by president of NBC Universal International Studios, Michael Edelstein, on June 21, 2017 at a red carpet event in Singapore called Downton Abbey: The Exhibition. Julian Fellowes confirmed earlier in mid June 2017 he has been working on a script.
On October 2, 2017, the Downton Abbey Facebook account posted a teaser that could be related to a movie announcement, but it turned out to be an announcement for Downton Abbey: The Exhibition in New York City starting November 18, 2017.
At a press event in London on October 3, 2017, Julian Fellowes did not inspire confidence when he said he was "completely out of the loop" on the progress of a film.
At the end of 2017, an interview with Phyllis Logan (Mrs. Hughes), suggested the wheels were turning for a movie, since cast members were asked to clear their calendars for some part of 2018 and an updated script was to be distributed. Also, Highclere Castle is scheduled to be closed from May 30 to July 7, 2018 which some are speculating means it has been reserved for filming.
Dame Maggie Smith, Michelle Dockery, and Hugh Bonneville have all been confirmed to appear in the film.  The whole main cast (of characters that are still alive) have now been confirmed to be returning, except for Lily James as Rose Aldridge, as her character has moved to New York.
Filming finished on November 30, 2018 after fifty days of filming.
Cast and crew Edit
- Oliver & Zac Barker as George Crawley
- Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley
- Laura Carmichael as Edith Pelham
- Jim Carter as Charles Carson
- Raquel Cassidy as Phyllis Baxter
- Brendan Coyle as John Bates
- Michelle Dockery as Mary Talbot
- Kevin Doyle as Joseph Molesley
- Michael Fox as Andrew Parker
- Joanne Froggatt as Anna Bates
- Matthew Goode as Henry Talbot
- Harry Hadden-Paton as Herbert Pelham
- Fifi Hart as Sybbie Branson
- Rob James-Collier as Thomas Barrow
- Allen Leech as Tom Branson
- Phyllis Logan as Elsie Carson
- Elizabeth McGovern as Cora Crawley
- Sophie McShera as Daisy Mason
- Lesley Nicol as Beryl Patmore
- Douglas Reith as Richard Grey
- Eva & Karina Samms as Marigold
- Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley
- Penelope Wilton as Isobel Grey
New cast members Edit
- Max Brown
- David Haig as The Royal Butler
- Geraldine James as Queen Mary
- Simon Jones as King George V
- Tuppence Middleton as Lucy
- Stephen Campbell Moore
- Kate Phillips as Mary, Princess Royal and Countess of Harewood
- Imelda Staunton as Lady Bagshaw
- TBA as Unnamed son of John and Anna Bates
- TBA as Mary and Henry Talbot's child
Company credits Edit
- Misc scenes
- Not in any particular order...
- Character posters
- ↑ Deadline Hollywood - Abbey’ Movie Sets Fall 2019 Opening by Anthony D'Alessandro September 19, 2018 10:06am
- ↑ Focus Features - Focus Features Announces Production on the Downton Abbey Movie by FOCUS FEATURES 07.13.2018
- ↑ https://twitter.com/DowntonAbbey/status/1017755341134749696
- ↑ APNews.com - NBC says ‘Downton Abbey’ movie production to start in 2018 By ANNABELLE LIANG Jun. 21, 2017
- ↑ TheGuardian.com - Julian Fellowes webchat – your questions answered on The Wind in the Willows, Downton Abbey, winning an Oscar – and Nando's Tuesday 13 June 2017 09.17 EDT
- ↑ File:Facebook-DowntonAbbey_teaser-2-Oct-2017.jpg
- ↑ USA Today - 'Downton Abbey' exhibit lets fans go upstairs, downstairs with drama's sets, costumes by Bill Keveney Published 10:00 a.m. ET Oct. 4, 2017; Updated 8:00 a.m. ET Oct. 5, 2017
- ↑ Yorkshire Post - 'I am out of the loop over Downton Abbey film announcement' admits Lord Fellowes By Matthew Reeder 08:04 Wednesday 04 October 2017
- ↑ Daily Mail UK - Clear your diaries for Downton the movie, stars are told: Mrs Hughes actress Phyllis Logan gives the biggest hint yet of the Abbey news every fan is longing to hear By Patricia Kane Published: 18:49 EST, 30 December 2017; Updated: 19:50 EST, 30 December 2017
- ↑ https://web.archive.org/web/20171218212856/https://www.highclerecastle.co.uk/public-opening-times-and-prices
- ↑ vanityfair.com - It’s Happening: Downton Abbey’s Original Cast Is Reuniting for a Movie Friday 13 July 2018 8.57 EDT
- ↑ PEOPLE - Lily James Reveals Why There's 'No Space' for Her in Downton Abbey Movie Dan Wakeford and Natalie Stone July 15, 2018 03:17 PM
- ↑ Twitter.com - @DowntonAbbey: 143 unforgettable scenes, 50 wonderful days, 1 glorious film. #DowntonAbbeyFilm. It's a wrap!
- ↑ Good Housekeeping - Everything you need to know about the Downton Abbey movie By Megan Sutton 18/02/2019
- ↑ 15.0 15.1 15.2 15.3 15.4 Entertainment Weekly - All the photos from the Downton Abbey movie so far By Maureen Lee Lenker February 14, 2019 05:01 PM EST
- Secondary news
- Old news