| Spoiler warning!|
This article contains plot details about an upcoming episode.
|Series 5 ⇐|
Series 6 is the final series of the highly popular drama series, Downton Abbey.
Production on the sixth and final series started in early 2015, and wrapped up sometime before September 20, 2015.
The series picks up at least three to four months after the end of Series 5, in 1925. The final episode ends on New Year's Eve, 1925.. Rose Aldridge and her husband, and Tom Branson have all moved to America. Tom and his young daughter Sybbie Branson return for a visit.
- Anna suffers another miscarriage and begins to think she is unable to have children.
- Edith will be spending more time in London managing her newly-inherited magazine, The Sketch.
- Robert and Cora visit Sir John and Lady Darnley at their ancestral home, who literally has to sell the family heirlooms and silverware to make ends meet.
- Robert considers further downsizing the staff.
- Mary's romantic past catches up with her when an unwelcome visitor suddenly delivers an ultimatum.
- Mrs Patmore's "latest horror story" is the Downton Kitchen obtaining a refrigerator.
- Daisy continues her education, revolts and explores modern times more frequently.
- The police's investigation into Mr Green's death comes to a resolution.
- Mr Mason is kicked off his farm, and Daisy receives counseling from Cora.
- Mary taking on much of the responsibility for running the estate comes as a shock to many of the farmers.
- Mr Carson and Mrs Hughes plan for a wedding.
- Tom Branson and his five-year-old daughter Sybbie move back to Downton Abbey.
- Harry Hadden-Paton reprises his role as Bertie Pelham.
- Matthew Goode reprises his role as Henry Talbot. Talbot is revealed to be the nephew of Violet's friend, Lady Shackleton.
- Gwen Dawson returns to Downton Abbey along with her husband, John Harding.
- Mary has to handle many more duties in the managing of the estate due to Tom's departure to Boston, and will not be dedicated to hunt for a possible husband.
- Downton Abbey is opened up to paying guests on at least one occasion.
- There will be at least one funeral and two more weddings.
- Thomas Barrow faces his darkest days yet in suffering psychological torture. The reason why he acts the way he does will be unlocked.
2015 Christmas Special
- Patricia Hodge joins the Downton cast in programme's finale.
- An automobile race will take place. The race includes Henry Talbot and Lord Gillingham, Tom Branson is in attendance.
- The overall series finale does not end on a climatic or suspenseful note, and will "leave the door open" for most of the characters.
- Though Edith and Mary are headed down separate paths in the city and country, their lives have been described as "incredibly parallel". However, they will not fully reconcile their differences.
- Mary does a bit of a U-turn and gets her bite back.
- Martha and Harold will not be returning, but Cora receives a letter from her mother.
- Not all of the main characters will have a happily ever after.
- Episode 6.01
- Episode 6.02
- Episode 6.03
- Episode 6.04
- Episode 6.05
- Episode 6.06
- Episode 6.07
- Episode 6.08
- 2015 Christmas Special
- Charlie Anson as Larry Grey
- Oliver & Zac Barker as George Crawley
- Samantha Bond as Rosamund Painswick
- Hugh Bonneville as Robert Crawley
- Laura Carmichael as Edith Crawley
- Michelle Dockery as Mary Crawley
- Elizabeth McGovern as Cora Crawley
- Ronald Pickup as Michael Reresby
- Douglas Reith as Richard Grey
- Maggie Smith as Violet Crawley
- Rick Bacon as Mr Henderson
- Philip Battley as John Harding
- Devon Black as a Receptionist
- Patrick Brennan as Mr Dawes
- Nichola Burley as Rita Bevan
- Andrew Caley as Fatstock Judge
- Michael Cochrane as Albert Travis
- Paul Copley as Mr Mason
- Sebastian Dunn as Charlie Rogers
- Victoria Emslie as Audrey
- Matthew Goode as Henry Talbot
- Harry Hadden-Paton as Bertie Pelham
- Fifi Hart as Sybbie Branson
- Allen Leech as Tom Branson
- Rose Leslie as Gwen Harding
- Adrian Lukis as John Darnley
- Emma Lowndes as Margie Drewe
- Nicholas Lumley as Auctioneer
- Mark Morell as Mr Fairclough
- Eva & Karina Samms as Marigold
- Paul Putner as Mr Skinner
- David Robb as Richard Clarkson
- Andrew Scarborough as Timothy Drewe
- Martin Walsh as Mr Finch
- Howard Ward as Sergeant Willis
- Penelope Wilton as Isobel Crawley
- Jim Carter as Charles Carson
- Raquel Cassidy as Phyllis Baxter
- Trevor Cooper as Mr Moore
- Brendan Coyle as John Bates
- Kevin Doyle as Joseph Molesley
- Michael Fox as Andrew Parker
- Joanne Froggatt as Anna Bates
- Rob James-Collier as Thomas Barrow
- Sue Johnston as Gladys Denker
- Phyllis Logan as Elsie Hughes
- Sophie McShera as Daisy Mason
- Lesley Nicol as Beryl Patmore
- Jeremy Swift as Septimus Spratt
- ↑ ‘Downton Abbey’ Season 6 US Premiere Date Revealed; Will The Final Season Lead To A Movie? at International Business Times
- ↑ Downton Abbey Renewed for Season 6, Chris Harnick, E! Online, 6 November, 2014.
- ↑ Lady Mary's romantic life continues to be the focus, June 29, 2015 11:39 PM
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Careful with those beans Carson...oh no, you've spilled them! Has Downton's butler lifted the lid on TV's biggest secret? at the Daily Mail
- ↑ Specifically Jim Carter says
All the servants are together in the hall. It is New Year’s Eve, it’s candlelit and there are Christmas decorations left over. It is dark and we quietly sing Auld Lang Syne.Since Auld Lang Syne is being sung, technically it may have rolled over into New Year's Day, 1926
- ↑ 6.0 6.1 6.2 6.3 Vanity Fair, Downton Abbey's Sixth Season, March 11, 2015 3:45 pm
- ↑ Heirs and graces: We talk to the cast of Downton Abbey at the Belfast Telegraph
- ↑ Downton Abbey Series Six Spoilers
- ↑ 9.0 9.1 9.2 9.3 9.4 9.5 Here's Everything We Know About Downton Abbey's Final Season (So Far) at TV Guide
- ↑ Downton Abbey Episode #6.1 at IMDB
- ↑ .‘Downton Abbey’ Season 6 Spoilers: Daisy Will ‘Revolt’ And ‘Explore The Modern Times’ In Final Season at International Business Times
- ↑ 'Downton Abbey's Joanne Froggatt: I "Couldn't Resist" Playing A Serial Killer After Anna, Deadline, Antonia Blyth, 20 August, 2015.
- ↑ 13.0 13.1 As Downton Abbey enters final chapter our insider reveals all about explosive new series at the Mirror
- ↑ 14.0 14.1 Downton Abbey Series 6 Spoilers: Michelle Dockery warns of “dark turn” for Lady Mary (INTERVIEW) at Unreality TV
- ↑ Rose Leslie's Gwen Dawson is returning to Downton Abbey at Radio Times
- ↑ ‘Downton Abbey’ season 6 spoilers: Michelle Dockery’s on Mary’s upcoming story at Cartermatt
- ↑ As the synopsis for Episode 6.07 and Episode 6.08 have already been revealed, we are able to categorize most of the information that we have listed here. The items not in Episode 6.07 and Episode 6.08 have been sorted into the 2015 Christmas Special.
- ↑ Downton Abbey series 6: Thomas to suffer ‘psychological torture’ reconciling his sexuality at the Express
- ↑ 19.0 19.1 'Downton Abbey' Final Season Spoilers: 'Not Everyone Will Have a Happy Ending' at Moviefone
- ↑ Miranda's Patricia Hodge will appear in Downton Abbey's final ever episode at Digital Spy
- ↑ 'Downton Abbey' season 6 spoilers: The end of an era; producers promise a satisfying conclusion at The Christian Post
- ↑ Downton Abbey is not over just yet at the Telegraph
- ↑ Downton Abbey Series 6 Spoilers: Laura Carmichael on Lady Edith’s new life choice… (INTERVIEW) at Unreality TV
- ↑ Downton Abbey's Michelle Dockery: Lady Mary will be back with a bite... it’s shocking at The evening Standard
- Matthew and Mary reunite as Downton Abbey cast celebrate six series of the period drama By Ellie Walker-Arnott Wednesday 12 August 2015 at 10:24AM at Radio Times
- Downton Abbey Cast Says Farewell On Twitter BY MELISSA LOCKER AUGUST 9, 2015 11:51 AM